(The Shipbuilders' Association of Japan)
Measures to cope with global warming
- In the past 20 years, the fuel consumption per ship (such as VLCC and LNG Ships) per day was reduced by about 40%,and will continue to promote the development of high efficiency and energy saving type vessels.
- Will promote production efficiency and sophistication by means of steady realization of CIM, promotion of investment in automation equipment, etc.
- Will promote the development of high-efficiency, energy-saving type of vessels such as new generation VLCC (mammoth tanker) and LNG ships and of ships that suit the reform of maritime physical flow.
Waste Disposal Measures
- Efforts will be made to raise the recycle rate of waste produced in the manufacturing stage to more than 75% in 2010. (It was 58% in 1990)
- Efforts will be made at the manufacturing stage, to design products which can be easily recycled.
- Efforts will be made towards reducing/recycling waste discharge and disposal in appropriate way.
- In coordination with the cement, construction and other industries, will promote the use of mine scrap as raw material.
- Will promote the purchase of recycled products and of supplies, equipment and material whose environmental burden is small.
- Will maintain and promote the reclamation of waste "ships."
- Will promote adoption and improvement of environmental management and inspection systems.
- Will promote participation in and cooperation with ISO environmental label, evaluation of environmental performance, and designing of LCA's international standard.
Environmental Conservation in Overseas Business Activities
- Will urge companies which have already established a production base overseas and those which start overseas operation in the future to adopt an approach that takes into greater consideration the environment of the host country and that continues to be based on the Keidanren Global Environment Charter.
Home Page in English