(East Japan Railway Co.)
Measures to cope with global warming
- By FY 2001, the amount of energy per transportation unit will be reduced by 10% from the FY 1994 level.
- The amount of CO2 gas per unit energy generated by thermoelectric power plants will be reduced by 10%.
- Reducing emissions of NOx from self-operated thermal power plants by 40 percent.
- By 2001, replacing 30 percent of the air conditioning equipment that used special chlorofluorocarbons in 1996 with equipment not using such special chlorofluorocarbons.
- Introduction of energy-saving vehicles, etc.
- Making stations and office buildings more energy efficient
- Further improvement of power generation efficiency, using clean energy sources and recycling
- Planting of 30,000 trees every year
Waste Disposal Measures
- Making the recycling rate for waste generated at plants and works 70% by FY 2001
- Making the recycling rate for waste from stations and trains 30%
- Making the rate for reuse of paper generated by office work 90%
- Reducing the consumption of water resources by 5%
- Recycling and reduction of office waste
- Striving to restrict waste generation, such as by establishing a recycling route for train car glass and completing the fractional collection of metal waste
- Striving to further increase the recycling rate for disassembly of representative cars (103 system), which is currently 91%
- Reviewing how to deliver shopping bags at shops and the sale of box lunches with simplified packaging.
- East Japan Railway Co. concluded "How East Japan Railway Should Tackle Environmental Issues" in March 1996. This listed individual and specific targets, as well as basic ideals and principles.
Home Page in English