(The Japan Society of Industrial Machinery Manufacturers)
Measures to cope with global warming
- The industry will endeavor to reduce the amount of CO2 emissions per unit of output in its manufacturing processes by 1% per annum or more.
- Improve physical distribution by changing the layouts used in plants and production processes.
- Incorporate inverter motors into production facilities.
- Improve efficiency of production through the use of FMS, CIM, CALS, etc.
- Promote designs in the development of plant and equipment which make allowances for energy conservation.
Waste Disposal Measures
- The industry will endeavor to improve its annual rate of recycling for each category of waste material by 10% of the 1995 level by 2010.
- The industry will intensify efforts to reuse and convert into resources metal wastes and slag generated through business activities, while also facilitating the conversion into resources of waste oil, waste plastic, waste paper, etc.
- The industry will endeavor to purchase products which are environmentally benign, while striving to keep the amount of waste generated in check and to reuse the waste that is generated.
- The industry will determine the overall quantity of its purchases and uses of chemical and other materials with impact on the environmental load, and take steps to reduce the amounts of such materials.
- By adopting the perspective of life cycle assessments, the industry will endeavor to improve its product development and production processes.
- While facilitating the development of technologies that contribute to lower environmental loads, the industry will endeavor to promote recycling through greater collaboration with other industries.
- The industry will endeavor to establish environmental management systemsand other structures that further environmental protection.
- The industry will promote environmental education, while endeavoring to foster personnel capable of implementing LCA, etc.
- In order to build environmental management systems, the industry will actively support efforts by companies to acquire ISO14001 certifications.
Environmental Conservation in Overseas Business Activities
- The industry has to date carried out its overseas businesses in accordance with the section in the Keidanren Global Environment Charter known as the "10-Point Environmental Guidelines for Japanese Enterprises Operating Abroad." Hereafter, in all areas and regions, it will continue to abide by these guidelines in its overseas activities.
Home Page in English