Policy Proposals CSR and Education Keidanren's Basic Stance towards National Resilience
- The Japanese government and ruling parties have been actively enhancing national resilience as a pillar of important policies.
- Our country faces a number of natural disaster risks and is required to take urgent measures.
From these perspectives, Keidanren highly appreciates initiatives taken by the government and ruling parties to build up national resilience. It is desirable that the following five proposals be reflected in policies, considering the enhancement of industrial competitiveness and the revitalization of local communities in addition to disaster management.
II. Five Proposals
(1) Basic policies and prioritization led by the national government
- The national government should formulate basic policies for national resilience.
- The government should prioritize programs and focus on crucial issues considering the serious fiscal situation.
- To achieve efficient and effective development and improvement of infrastructure, their utilization in the fields of transportation, logistics and tourism should be considered. In addition, necessary procedures should be simplified.
- Especially, higher priority should be given to:
- Reconstruction following the Great East Japan Earthquake.
- Development and improvement of such critical infrastructure as highway network, major ports and airports with a view of early solutions to missing links, and securing substitutability of transportation in times of disaster.
- Repair, maintenance and management of time-worn infrastructure.
(2) Commitment of local governments
- Local governments should intensify continuity and network connections with national critical infrastructure.
- Regional alliances beyond prefectural boundaries should be promoted in the light of local government reform towards the regional government system called "doshu-sei".
- Construction of "compact cities" should be accelerated.
(3) Innovation and utilization of advanced technology
- Information and communication technologies (ICT) such as image information and sensors should be utilized for more efficient maintenance and management.
- Research and development activities related to shorten the period of construction, as well as to improve maintenance and management should be enhanced.
(4) Risk communication
- Risk communication between the government and the private sector should be improved to raise the awareness of disaster prevention.
- Integrated information platform should be developed to allow the government and the private sector to share information on a real-time basis.
(5) Alliance between the government and the private sector
- The government should boldly utilize a public-private partnership (PPP) and a private finance initiative (PFI).
- The government should consider easing regulations as well as support measures to induce companies' voluntary efforts in their business continuity management.