Policy Proposals Industrial Technology Proposal for New Basic Plan for Space Policy (Summary)
In July 2012, the Office of National Space Policy was established in the Cabinet Office and the government's framework to promote its space policy has been improved. The revision of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) law is one example of the overhaul.
In accordance with the changes, the government is going to formulate its new Basic Plan for Space Policy covering a five-year period from FY 2013. Keidanren has compiled a proposal in order to have it reflected in the government's new basic plan.
2. Significance of New Basic Plan for Space Policy
- (1) Development of the space industry and promotion of the utilization and R&D of space in the field of national security should be considered a top priority.
- (2) A space infrastructure consisting of satellites and rockets among other things should be constructed, and its utilization should be promoted.
- (3) Space diplomacy among developing and developed countries should be enhanced.
3. Promotion Measures in Key Areas
- (1) Foundation of a space equipment industry and space utilization industry should be enhanced.
- (2) Effective ways of utilizing space should be explored and continuous utilization of satellite data should be secured.
- (3) Space should be utilized in the field of national security.
- (4) An infrastructure for disaster prevention/reduction using satellites should be constructed.
4. Key Programs
|Observation||Development of public remote-sensing satellites|
|Positioning||Development of seven-unit Quasi-Zenith Satellites System|
|Technological development of advanced telecommunication satellite system|
|National Security||Development of information gathering satellites, building of maritime domain/space situational awareness system|
|Energy||Technological development of experimental satellites for space solar power system|
|Human Space Activities||Promotion of the utilization of the International Space Station|
|Space Science||Conducting astronomical observation and lunar/planetary explorations|
|Space Debris||Development of system contributing to conservation of the space environment|
|Transportation||Operation of the H-IIA and H-IIB launch vehicles, and development of the next-generation backbone rockets|
|Launch Sites etc.||Maintenance and improvement of infrastructure including launch sites|
5. Enhancement of Promotion Structure
- (1) The Strategic Headquarters for Space Policy should function as a "control tower."
- (2) A medium-term goal and medium-term plan for JAXA should be compiled and steadily executed.
- (3) Cooperation between the public and private sectors should be strengthened.
- (4) Space-related legislation should be improved.
- (5) Human resources should be developed in university and industry.