Policy Proposals Environment and Energy Actions by the Business Community on Long-term Global Warming Countermeasures up to 2050
In December 2015, the 21st Session of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP21) adopted the "Paris Agreement", an international framework for global warming countermeasures. The Paris Agreement invited each of the Parties to communicate a "long-term low greenhouse gas emission development strategy" (long-term strategy) by 2020, looking at mid-century (2050 and beyond). The Japanese Government intends to formulate Japan's long-term strategy by the G20 Summit to be held in Osaka in June 2019.
Furthermore, against the backdrop of the adoption of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as well as the Paris Agreement in 2015, there is a strong international move towards expanding "ESG investment", which promotes prioritization and selection of companies seriously considering in their business practice the following three aspects: Environment, Social, and Governance. Indeed companies are now increasingly required to demonstrate their corporate policies for a sustainable society.
Based on this trend both in Japan and overseas, private companies and organizations will proactively demonstrate their stance and long-term vision both domestically and internationally regarding global warming countermeasures through 2050. This will certainly contribute to the promotion of ESG investment, and consequently serve to accelerate global warming countermeasures.
Distinct from "Keidanren's Commitment to a Low Carbon Society", which spelled out mid-term actions on global warming countermeasures up to 2030, what is important for this "long-term vision" is to envision an uncertain future through 2050 and demonstrate "a vision for goals and major directions" to be taken as management.
Recognizing the above, Keidanren, in October 2018, called on its member companies and organizations to look into formulating a "long-term vision" and provide relevant information. As a result, as shown below, more than 250 companies and organizations have announced that they have already formulated, or are in the process of formulating a "long-term vision".
The business community reaffirms that it will continue proactive contributions to long-term global warming countermeasures on a global scale.
1. Already formulated and announced
- AEON Co., Ltd.
- Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance CO.,Ltd.
- Ajinomoto Co., Inc.
- ASAHI GROUP HOLDINGS,LTD.
- Bureau Veritas Japan Co., Ltd.
- Dai-ichi Life Holdings, Inc.
- Daiwa House Industry Co., Ltd.
- DENSO CORPORATION
- Fuji Electric Co., Ltd.
- FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
- Fujikura Ltd.
- FUJITSU LIMITED
- Fuyo General Lease Co., Ltd.
- Hitachi High-Technologies Corporation
- Hitachi, Ltd.
- Hulic Co., Ltd.
- J. FRONT RETAILING Co., Ltd.
- Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd.
- Keihin Corporation
- KONICA MINOLTA, INC.
- Kumagai Gumi Co., Ltd.
- Mazda Motor Corporation
- MITSUBISHI ESTATE CO., LTD.
- Mitsubishi Gas Chemical Company, Inc.
- Mitsui O.S.K.Lines, Ltd.
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company, Limited
- Nabtesco Corporation
- NEC Corporation
- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- NYK Line
- OBAYASHI CORPORATION
- Oji Holdings Corporation
- Panasonic Corporation
- Rengo Co., Ltd.
- RICOH COMPANY,LTD.
- Secom Co., Ltd.
- SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION
- Siemens K.K.
- SOHGO SECURITY SERVICES CO., LTD.
- Sojitz Corporation
- Sompo Holdings, Inc.
(Group CSR Vision) https://www.sompo-hd.com/en/csr/system/vision/
(New Group-Wide Mid- to Long-Term GHG Emission Reduction Targets) https://www.sompo-hd.com/en/csr/action/community/content5/
- Sony Corporation
- SUMITOMO CHEMICAL Co., Ltd.
- Sumitomo Mitsui Construction Co., Ltd.
- Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group,Inc.
- SUNTORY HOLDINGS LIMITED
- TAISEI CORPORATION
- TODA Corporation
- Tokio Marine Holdings, Inc./Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd.
- Toray Industries, Inc.
- TOSHIBA CORPORATION
- Toshiba Infrastructure Systems & Solutions Corporation
- TOTO LTD.
- Toyo Seikan Group Holdings,Ltd.
- TOYODA GOSEI Co., Ltd.
- TOYOTA BOSHOKU CORPORATION
- Toyota Industries Corporation
- TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION
- YAMAHA MOTOR CO., LTD.
- Yokogawa Electric Corporation
- Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd.
- Japan Chemical Industry Association
- Japanese Bankers Association
- The Japan Gas Association
- The Japan Iron and Steel Federation
- The Japanese Shipowners' Association
2. In the process of formulation
(1) Planned by end of FY2018
- Isetan Mitsukoshi Holdings Ltd (End of FY2018)
- SHIMADZU CORPORATION (January 2019)
- Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Holdings, Inc. (During FY2018)
(2) Planned by end of FY2019
- ADVANTEST CORPORATION (End of FY2019)
- Air Water Inc. (October 2019)
- AISAN INDUSTRY CO.,LTD. (During FY2019)
- ALPS ALPINE CO., LTD. (June 2019)
- APP Japan Limited. (2nd quarter of CY2019)
- Azbil Corporation (During CY2019)
- Chiyoda Corporation (During FY2019)
- Eisai Co., Ltd. (During FY2019)
- Electric Power Development Co.,Ltd. (During CY2019 (formulate as "The Electric Power Council for a Low Carbon Society: ELCS"))
- HAZAMA ANDO CORPORATION (End of FY2019)
- Hitachi Capital Corporation (June 2019)
- Hitachi Transport System, Ltd. (During CY2019)
- Hokkaido Electric Power Co.,Inc. (During CY2019 (formulate as "The Electric Power Council for a Low Carbon Society: ELCS"))
- Hokuriku Electric Power Company (During CY2019)
- Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd. (October 2019)
- IHI Corporation (End of FY2019)
- ITOCHU Techno-Solutions Corporation (During FY2019)
- JAPAN ASIA GROUP LIMITED (March 2020)
- JFE Holdings, Inc. (Summer 2019)
- KANEKA CORPORATION (End of FY2019)
- Kao Corporation (April 2019)
- Kuroda Precision Industries Ltd. (By end of FY2019 (formulation), January 2020 (announcement))
- Kyocera Corporation (During FY2019)
- KYUSHU ELECTRIC POWER CO., INC. (During CY2019)
- Lawson,Inc. (During FY2019)
- Lion Corporation (End of FY2019)
- LIXIL Group Corporation (During FY2019)
- MATSUNAMI GLASS IND.,LTD (March 2020)
- Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (Beginning of FY2019)
- MITSUBISHI MOTORS CORPORATION (End of FY2019)
- Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (July 2019)
- MITSUI CHEMICALS,INC (Beginning of FY2019)
- Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. (End of FY2019)
- Morinaga Milk Industry Co.,Ltd (June 2019)
- Nihon Unisys, Ltd. (During FY2019)
- Nippon Gas Co., Ltd. (April 2019 or after (as soon as possible))
- Nippon Kayaku Co., Ltd. (December 2019)
- NIPPON SHARYO, LTD. (November 2019)
- Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation (Summer 2019)
- Nitto Denko Corporation (1st half of CY2019)
- NSK.Ltd (May 2019)
- Oki Electric Industry Co.,Ltd (August 2019)
- ORIX Corporation (During CY2019)
- PIONEER CORPORATION (During FY2019)
- SAPPORO HOLDINGS LTD. (End of CY2019)
- SEVEN&i HLDGS.CO.,Ltd (1st half of FY2019)
- Shikoku Electric Power Company, Incorporated (During CY2019 (formulate as "The Electric Power Council for a Low Carbon Society: ELCS"))
- Showa Shell Sekiyu K.K. (October 2019)
- Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. (End of FY2019)
- TAIHEIYO CEMENT CORPORATION (During FY2019)
- TAKENAKA CORPORATION (April 2019)
- TATEYAMA KAGAKU INDUSTRY CO.,LTD. (November 2019)
- Teijin Ltd. (End of FY2019)
- Terumo Corporation (October 2019)
- The Chugoku Electric Power Co., Inc. (During CY2019 (formulate as "The Electric Power Council for a Low Carbon Society: ELCS"))
- The Japan Atomic Power Company (During CY2019 (formulate as "The Electric Power Council for a Low Carbon Society: ELCS"))
- The Kansai Electric Power Co.,Inc. (During CY2019)
- The Okinawa Electric Power Co.,Inc. (During CY2019 (formulate as "The Electric Power Council for a Low Carbon Society: ELCS"))
- Tohoku Electric Power Co.,Inc. (During CY2019 (formulate as "The Electric Power Council for a Low Carbon Society: ELCS"))
- Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, Inc. (During CY2019, considering Japan's "long-term low greenhouse gas emission development strategy")
- TOMY COMPANY,LTD. (End of FY2019)
- TOYOBO CO.,LTD. (November 2019)
- USHIO INC. (Between March and June of 2019)
- WAKACHIKU CONSTRUCTION CO.,Ltd. (September 2019)
- Yahoo Japan Corporation (April 2019)
- YASKAWA Electric Corporation (April 2019)
- YAZAKI Corporation (End of FY2019)
- YUASA TRADING CO.,LTD. (End of FY2019)
- Japan Aluminium Association (March 2020)
- Japan Association of Travel Agents (End of FY2019)
- Japan Cement Association (During FY2019)
- Japan Coal Energy Center (September 2019)
- Japan Foreign Trade Council, Inc. (End of FY2019)
- Japan Paper Association (End of FY2019)
- Kyushu Economic Federation (2nd half of FY2019)
- The Electric Power Council for a Low Carbon Society (During CY2019 (soon after considering Japan's "long-term low greenhouse gas emission development strategy"))
(3) Planned in FY2020 or after
- AGC Inc. (End of FY2020)
- AISIN AW Co., Ltd. (End of FY2020)
- Anritsu Corporation (July 2020)
- Astellas Pharma Inc. (Early as possible by 2030, considering the progress toward our FY2030 target.)
- Calbee Inc. (During FY2020)
- Daiwa Securities Group Inc. (End of FY2020)
- EAGLE INDUSTRY CO.,LTD. (During CY2023)
- FURUKAWA ELECTRIC CO.,LTD. (End of FY2020)
- GUNZE LIMITED (End of FY2020)
- Japan Aviation Electronics Industry, Ltd. (End of FY2020)
- JSP Co., Ltd. (March 2021)
- KOMEHYO Co., Ltd. (End of FY2020)
- KYODO PRINTING CO.,LDT. (End of FY2020)
- Maxell Holdings,Ltd. (End of FY2020)
- MEIDENSHA CORPORATION (End of FY2020)
- Meiji Holdings Co., Ltd. (End of FY2020)
- Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (End of FY2020)
- Mitsubishi Paper Mills Ltd. (End of FY2020)
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd (End of FY2020)
- Mori Building Co., Ltd. (End of FY2020)
- NAKAYAMA STEEL WORKS,LTD. (End of CY2021)
- NH Foods Ltd. (End of FY2020)
- NHK SPRING CO.,LTD. (End of FY2020)
- NIPPO CORPORATION (End of FY2020)
- NIPPON SHEET GLASS Co., LTD. (July 2020)
- NISHIMATSU CONSTRUCTION CO.,LTD. (End of FY2020)
- NOK CORPORATION (During CY2023)
- NTT DATA Corporation (Between FY2019 and FY2021 (amid our next mid-term management plan))
- Rigaku Corporation (End of FY2020)
- Sangetsu Corporation (During FY2020)
- SEKISUI CHEMICAL CO.,LTD (During FY2020)
- Sumitomo Electric Industries,Ltd. (End of FY2020)
- Sumitomo Riko Company Limited (May 2023)
- TAKAOKA TOKO CO., LTD. (End of FY2020)
- TAKARA PRINTING CO.,LTD. (June 2020)
- TIS Inc. (End of FY2020)
- TOAGOSEI CO.,LTD (End of CY2020)
- TOKYO KEIKI INC. (End of FY2020)
- TOKYO ROPE MFG.CO.,LTD. (End of FY2020)
- TOPPAN PRINTING CO., LTD. (End of FY2020)
- Toshiba Memory Corporation (During FY2020)
- Tsubakimoto Chain Co. (Between FY2022 and FY2023)
- Unicharm Co.,Ltd (End of CY2020)
- Japan Dairy Industry Association (End of FY2020)
- Japan Federation of Printing Industries (End of FY2020)
- Japan Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association (Early as possible by CY2030)
- Petroleum Association of Japan (End of FY2020)
- The Real Estate Companies Association of Japan (End of FY2020)
(4) Schedule yet undecided
- ACOM CO., LTD.
- Asahi Kasei Corporation
- Bank of Yokohama
- CANON ELECTRONICS INC.
- Canon Inc.
- Central Nippon Expressway Company Limited
- Chubu Electric Power Co., Inc.
- CTI Engineering Co.,Ltd.
- Dai Nippon Printing Co.,Ltd
- DOWA HOLDINGS CO., LTD.
- East Japan Railway Company
- FUJITA KANKO INC.
- Gakken Holdings Co., Ltd.
- Hamamatsu Photonics K.K.
- ISUZU MOTORS LIMITED
- IWASAKI ELECTRIC CO.,LTD
- JXTG Holdings, Inc
- KANEMATSU CORPORATION
- KYOSAI TECHNOS CO.,LTD.
- Kyowa Hakko Kirin Co., Ltd.
- Marubeni Corporation
- Metropolitan Expressway Company Limited
- Mitsubishi Materials Corporation
- Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation
- Mitsui Sugar Co., Ltd.
- Nichirei Corporation
- NIPPON ACCESS,INC
- Nippon Life Insurance Company
- NIPPON TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE CORPORATION
- Nisshin Seifun Group Inc.
- Nomura Real Estate Holdings, Inc.
- North Pacific Bank,Ltd.
- NTT Urban Development Corporation
- OHBA CO.,LTD.
- OKAYA & CO., LTD.
- SAIBU AS Co., Ltd.
- SANYO SPECIAL STEEL Co.,Ltd.
- Shin-Etsu Chemical Co.,Ltd
- SUBARU CORPORATION
- SUMITOMO METAL MINING Co., Ltd.
- SUMITOMO OSAKA CEMENT Co., Ltd.
- SWCC SHOWA HOLDINGS CO., LTD.
- Sysmex Corporation
- The Eighteenth Bank, Limited
- The Nisshin OilliO Group, Ltd.
- TOHO ZINC Co., Ltd.
- Tokuyama Corporation
- TOKYO GAS CO., LTD.
- Tokyo Metro Co., Ltd.
- UBE INDUSTRIES,LTD.
- Yakult Honsha Co., Ltd.
- YAMATO HOLDINGS Co., Ltd.
- JAPAN OILSEED PROCCESSORS ASSOCIATION
- Japan Auto Parts Industries Association
- Japan Chemical Fibers Association
- Japan Federation of Construction Contractors
- Japan Federation of Housing Organizations
- Japan Industrial and Medical Gases Association
- JAPAN MINING INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION
- Kochi Employers' Association
- Liaison Group of Japanese Electrical and Electronics Industries for Global Warming Prevention
- The National Association of Shinkin Banks